A great article by Jasmine Davis of the League of Gamemakers. It outlines the pro’s and con’s of self-publishing a game versus pitching a game to a publisher. This decision can be overwhelming but it is an important one to make because as the article describes doing both normally ends in indecision and in stagnating a project.
This is the start of my game making process: sketches and notes. Once I figure out the basic game flow I start fleshing out card stats, player turns, etc. Then I go back over my notes again and again: slowly tweaking the game as it all comes together. This process takes place over the course of a few months ending with the first alpha print out. The brainstorm phase is my favorite part of the game designing process.
I came across a great article written by Tom Jolly from The League of Game Makers (@leagueGM) the other day. The article was written about different ways of executing Artificial Intelligence in board games. Some of the more basic ways I’ve seen AI used are drawing from an exclusive deck of actions cards or rolling a custom dice. Depending on the depth of the game more variation for AI may be required: for instance if the AI need to make moves/actions based on the players decisions in the game. I would highly recommend this article for game designers, very good read. PHOTO: leagueofgamemakers.com
Silent Stalker is one of the more terrifying units in Armies of Primus. Looking like hybrid of slender man, a mummy and one of those Hollowgast creatures from Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, this unit possesses an ability that gives it a defense buff based on how many hits it has taken. If that wasn’t scary enough this Silent Stalker also has flying (It is unaffected by terrain restrictions) which only adds to its threat level.
My first installment of art posts for Arimes of Primus. Starting off with Creeping Tiles! These little creatures are quick but vulnerable. Their ability of providing attack bonuses if killed make up for their vulnerability.
Armies of Primus features many figures, nearly 150. The original plan for the game was to make a print & play paper miniature game, as I am obsessed with a bunch of Patreon artists who are creating them mainly for Role-playing games like Dungeons and Dragons. The figures I created for my beta game were created by spraying Rustoleum NeverWet on cheap colour print outs from my local office store. You can use pretty much any acrylic spray fixative available at any craft/hardware store. For the bases I purchased a bunch online from LITKO Game Accessories (@litkoga) that are designed for flat paper miniatures. After the figures are printed and sprayed you just glue, fold, cut and color the white edges with a black marker for a final polish. In the end you’ve got a pretty nice result.
For Armies of Primus I needed some custom dice for attacking and defending. When I was starting out I simply used standard d6’s from the dollar store and provided players with a roll chart. Using a roll chart was useful when fixing the die face balancing before I committed to a final layout and design. After I was sure of the balance, I printed black and white symbols onto mailing labels and cut them by hand. As an added protection I spray lacquered the stickers with some Rustoleum NeverWet spray. It was a bit of work but in the end, the beta dice work great and are much easier to use than a roll chart.
Just the other day I received an order of prototype cards for my second game that’s in the works. It’s a quick party card game, more details to come! Right now I just want to give a shout out to Drive Thru Cards for their service and product quality, thanks guys!
A few months ago my wife Megan and I had an awesome date night at a local board game cafe called After Dark. The night had a rough start after I attempted for, I kid you not, two hours to try and figure out rules to a game (not the game’s fault but that’s another story) I went and grabbed a game called DREAM HOME by Asmodee & Rebel Games. I figured the subject of a dream home would peak Megan’s interest and it looked simple enough to figure out. Turns out it was quick to learn, mostly due to the fact Megan read the rules, and it was extremely fun. In the game players compete by picking room cards and laying them out on their house boards in a way that optimizes their points. I recommend this game for families as well as couples! We loved it so much we bought a copy that night.
This past weekend I ran another playtest it was a one on one battle. I was excited to find the economy of Mana in the game flows much better. But now (as pictured) players are able to amass too many creatures. Not a problem to fix, all part of the fun of game making!