A great article by Jasmine Davis of the League of Gamemakers. It outlines the pro’s and con’s of self-publishing a game versus pitching a game to a publisher. This decision can be overwhelming but it is an important one to make because as the article describes doing both normally ends in indecision and in stagnating a project.
This is the start of my game making process: sketches and notes. Once I figure out the basic game flow I start fleshing out card stats, player turns, etc. Then I go back over my notes again and again: slowly tweaking the game as it all comes together. This process takes place over the course of a few months ending with the first alpha print out. The brainstorm phase is my favorite part of the game designing process.
Silent Stalker is one of the more terrifying units in Armies of Primus. Looking like hybrid of slender man, a mummy and one of those Hollowgast creatures from Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, this unit possesses an ability that gives it a defense buff based on how many hits it has taken. If that wasn’t scary enough this Silent Stalker also has flying (It is unaffected by terrain restrictions) which only adds to its threat level.
My first installment of art posts for Arimes of Primus. Starting off with Creeping Tiles! These little creatures are quick but vulnerable. Their ability of providing attack bonuses if killed make up for their vulnerability.
Armies of Primus features many figures, nearly 150. The original plan for the game was to make a print & play paper miniature game, as I am obsessed with a bunch of Patreon artists who are creating them mainly for Role-playing games like Dungeons and Dragons. The figures I created for my beta game were created by spraying Rustoleum NeverWet on cheap colour print outs from my local office store. You can use pretty much any acrylic spray fixative available at any craft/hardware store. For the bases I purchased a bunch online from LITKO Game Accessories (@litkoga) that are designed for flat paper miniatures. After the figures are printed and sprayed you just glue, fold, cut and color the white edges with a black marker for a final polish. In the end you’ve got a pretty nice result.
For Armies of Primus I needed some custom dice for attacking and defending. When I was starting out I simply used standard d6’s from the dollar store and provided players with a roll chart. Using a roll chart was useful when fixing the die face balancing before I committed to a final layout and design. After I was sure of the balance, I printed black and white symbols onto mailing labels and cut them by hand. As an added protection I spray lacquered the stickers with some Rustoleum NeverWet spray. It was a bit of work but in the end, the beta dice work great and are much easier to use than a roll chart.
Just the other day I received an order of prototype cards for my second game that’s in the works. It’s a quick party card game, more details to come! Right now I just want to give a shout out to Drive Thru Cards for their service and product quality, thanks guys!
A good friend of mine, James Van Niekerk, is currently working on short session RPG game called MINIONS OF MORDAK. I gotta say now is an amazing time for the genre in light of the Gloomhaven craze that’s currently sweeping the board game scene. Even though Gloomhaven offers a short of shortcut to traditional RPG’s like Dungeons and Dragons, Minions of Mordaks streamlines this type of game further. One of the hardest parts about roll playing games is the time commitment, this is coming from the flakiest D&D player known to me. James also uploads visual and game design tip articles that offer good advice for anyone starting out at making their own games! I’m excited to get involved and give this game a try!
For more info visit minionsofmordak.com.